First I will give you my condolences about your dead computer. Now we will get on with recovering files from a crashed hard drive.
Your dead computer could have been caused by a number of things, but as long as it is not a dead hard drive, then we are fine to get the files off the computer.
1. It is very simple, all we have to do is remove the old hard drive from the crashed or dead computer.
2. Examine the hard drive to see if it has a SATA connection or an IDE connection. This will determine what kind of external hard drive case we need to put a hard drive into.
3. If you have an external hard drive to suit your hard drive then simply connect it up. If you do not have one you need to go and buy one.
4. Connect your external hard drive to a computer.
5. Go to the start menu, then computer, and you will see your hard drive appear there.
6. Now open the contents and browse for the files that you need.
When recovering files from a crashed hard drive it is handy to see where some of the files are actually stored. Sometimes you need to un-hide hidden files to get what you want.